Monday, January 28, 2013

Chicken and Artichoke Lasagna

Difficulty Level: Intermediate
This recipe is really easy, but the ingredients are kind of out of the ordinary for us.  That's why I consider this more of an intermediate recipe than an easy one.  I originally found this recipe on Pinterest here.  I changed some of the elements to be a little more our taste, and it was a real hit!  My husband said it was the best thing I've ever made!  Enjoy.

Ingredients
2 cooked chicken breasts [shredded or chopped]
1 can (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained, chopped
1 pkg. (8 oz.) Shredded Mozzarella Cheese [put half aside for later]
1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
2 pkg. (8 oz. each) Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 cup tightly packed fresh basil, chopped, divided
12 lasagna noodles, cooked

Tip:  This was my first time cooking lasagna noodles.  They are huge!  I let them cook standing up, and then I used tongs to turn them over after they got a little soft.  Also, I only cooked them about 6-8 minutes so that they weren't so soft they'd rip.


Directions
HEAT oven to 350°F.

COMBINE chicken, artichokes, 1 cup mozzarella, and Parmesan. Beat cream cheese, milk and garlic powder with mixer until well blended [I used a whisk and some elbow grease, slowly adding the cream cheese]; stir in 2 Tbsp. basil. Mix half with the chicken mixture.

SPREAD half the remaining cream cheese mixture onto bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish; cover with 3 noodles and 1/3 of the chicken mixture. Repeat layers of noodles and chicken mixture twice. Top with remaining noodles, cream cheese mixture and mozzarella; cover.

BAKE 25 min. or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining basil. Let stand 5 min. before cutting to serve.

We had leftovers for days! Happy cooking.

2 comments:

  1. Target brand has no-cook lasagna noodles, they are AWESOME! I haven't boiled lasagna in years. Thanks for the yummy looking recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claire! Another person said to boil them in a pan instead of a pot, and ANOTHER person said if you add more liquid ingredients and bake longer you don't have to cook them. Loving all of the lasagna tips!

    ReplyDelete